I’ve said it before, and I’ll probably say it again…and again… Anyone who says there is “nothing to do” in Sumter really needs to get out more. This weekend is an absolute April shower of events in the community!
The weather isn’t the only thing that heats up in Sumter once spring arrives. From now until the Sumter Iris Festival at the end of May, there’s going to be something great going on every week. Coming up on April 28 is the annual Earth Day Celebration, the Recovery Road Race 5K/10K Run, and Sumter Green’s huge Spring Truckload Sale. The week after that brings the Mayor’s Prayer Breakfast, with motivational speaker A.C. Green, formerly the “Iron Man” of the LA Lakers and now head of the A.C. Green Youth Foundation.
- Conference Carolinas Tennis Tournament (happening now!). Palmetto Tennis Center, until April 22. Spectators are welcome; admission is free. 400 Theatre Drive. For more information, please call (803) 774-3969.
- The Sumter-Shaw Community Concert Association presents The Dick Goodwin Big Band in concert at Patriot Hall on Friday, April 20 at 7:30 p.m. 135 Haynsworth Street. Tickets are $25. Please call (803) 499-4032.
- “Dancing with the Sumter Stars,” hosted by USC Sumter in partnership with the Sumter County Cultural Commission. See your favorite Sumter personalities compete for the coveted Mirror Ball Trophy! A dozen couples take to the floor in our version of the hit series (and pssst…rumor has it that Downtown Development Manager Howie Owens can bust some serious moves!). April 21 at Patriot Hall, 6 p.m. Tickets are $30 with an additional $10 for voting privileges; proceeds benefit the USC Sumter Alumni Association.
- The Palmetto A’s of SC will be touring Sumter on Saturday, April 21, and will stop for lunch at Cut Rate Drug Store (32 South Main Street) at 10 a.m. In the meantime, their collection of vintage Ford Model A’s will be on display at the side parking lot. Stop by and take a look!
- 3M productions presents the hit stage play “In My Father’s House” at the Sumter Opera House, 21 North Main Street. April 21, show times 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. Tickets are $15 at the door. For more information, call (803) 773-1908.
- The USSSA Softball Tournament at Patriot Park Sportsplex brings more sports action on April 21 and 22. Admission is $5 for adults; $3 for ages 12 and under. (803) 436-2248.
There’s too much going on to fit this space, but please check out our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/SumterSC.
And get out this weekend, and do something fun!