It’s hard to believe that spring is here already, when we don’t seem to have had much of a winter, but I noticed this morning that my Bradford pear is about to bloom. Now, we have a lot of flowering trees and shrubs that can be fooled into thinking it’s time to flower only to have them knocked back by a cold snap, but the Bradford pear is incredibly reliable. If it’s blooming, it’s spring.
This month, which is certainly coming in like a lamb instead of a lion, holds a host of events to look forward to. Beginning this weekend, March is going to heat up quickly as far as activities go, and before we know it, spring will officially be here. Just a sampling:
- March 3: Kite Flying Contest & Bike Rodeo, Dillon Park. $1 per entry. (803) 436-2248.
- March 10: SCISA Softball Tournament, Palmetto Park. Admission is $5 for adults, $3 for children 12 and under. (803) 436-2248.
- March 15: The Sumter-Shaw Community Concert Association presents The USC Chamber Orchestra, Sumter Opera House. Tickets are $25; students with a valid ID are admitted for $5. (803) 499-4032.
- March 16: Young Professionals of Sumter 3rd Annual Chili Cookoff, Sumter County Museum. Admission $30. (803) 775-0908.
- March 17: “Kiss Me, I’m Irish” at the Sumter County Gallery of Art. Live music by the J. Sanford Band; heavy hors d’ouvres and Scotch tasting. Tickets are $25 for members, $30 for non-members. (803) 775-0543.
- March 17-18: 2nd Annual Daffodil Arts & Crafts Show, American Legion Fair Memorial Building. FREE admission. Non-perishable food items will be collected for Harvest Hope Food Bank. (803) 983-3235.
- March 17-18: USSSA Baseball Tournament, Patriot Park Sportsplex. Adult admission is $5; children 12 and under, $3.00. (803) 436-2248.
- March 18: Sumter Community Concert Band, Patriot Hall. FREE admission. (803) 436-2260.
- March 22-25: Sumter Little Theatre presents “Wiley & the Hairy Man.” $15 adults; $12 for students, seniors and military. Also runs March 29-April 1. (803) 775-2150. Advance reservations strongly recommended.
- March 24: CSA Softball Tournament, Patriot Park Sportsplex. Adult admission $5; children 12 and under, $3.
- March 27-28: SCISA Open, Palmetto Tennis Center. FREE admission. (803) 774-3969.
- March 30-31: “GRITS: The Musical,” Sumter Opera House. Based on the book Friends are Forevah by Deborah Ford. (803) 436-2640.
- March 31: Carolina Backcountry Easter Egg Roll, Sumter County Museum. (803) 775-0908.
Of course, the events listed above are nowhere near everything that’s happening. For more information on local events, please check out our community events calendar here, or call the Swan Lake Visitors Center at (803) 436-2640, or toll-free at 1-800-688-4748.
More information on specific happenings will be coming soon…stay tuned!