“Game, set, match!” “It’s a home run!” “Spike!” “An amazing hole in one!”
Tournament season in Sumter is here! The coming months are full of sports action. Tennis, softball, baseball and volleyball tournaments will foster the spirit of healthy competition and provide excitement for spectators from now until fall. To name just a few:
- Jr. Match Play Golf Tournament at Sunset Country Club (July 11-15)
- SC Jr. Team Championships at the Palmetto Tennis Center (July 15-17),
- Dixie Youth Softball State Championships at Patriot Park Sportsplex (July 22-28),
- USSSA Baseball Tournament at Patriot Park Sportsplex (August 6-7)
- SCISA Volleyball Jamboree at the Sumter County Civic Center (August 20)
…and the list goes on, all the way through November’s Eastern District Soccer Championships, also being held at Patriot Park. With competitors of all ages, it’s a great opportunity to enjoy some skillful play and cheer on your favorite little (or big!) athlete.
It’s also getting close to fall sports registration time at the Sumter County Recreation Department, which takes place August 1-18, so don’t miss out on the chance to find out if you’ve got a budding sports hero on your hands. For more information, please call the Recreation Department at (803) 436-2248. For a detailed listing of upcoming matches, the City Events Calendar has them all right here!
As the old song says, “buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack…” Maybe the refreshments have changed over the years (although I still love Cracker Jack), but the sentiment certainly has not. Get out now and root for your favorite team!